Saturday, November 21, 2015

"Fast food......FAST FOOD?  Where is it going?  What's the hurry?  I'll tell you what fast food is, it is the fast track to heaven".

These were the words spoken to me a week ago by my mysterious Chinese stranger that I had spoken to in the park  almost two months ago. (September 23 post)

I have told so many people about this man and of course with my telling over time he has become more and more mystical and mysterious.

I have walked in the park every day for years and only met him that one time so part of me was even beginning to wonder about our encounter.

That morning, before I headed to the park, I met a new friend for coffee at McOffice.  She is an elderly woman who lives about a mile up my street.  When our conversation turned to health, I, of course, brought this man up.  She was struck by the story but I swear I saw some hesitancy in her acceptance that this was a real person.

"And you only saw him this one time, and you walk in the park every day?" she asked.

I just nodded at her and smiled and changed the subject.

As I drove to the park I kept him in mind and told myself I would see him again. I held him very clearly in mind and told myself that if he had more to offer me and if it was meant to be that I would see him this very day.

I changed my walking route a bit and ended up walking down a hill that parallels the park's smallest pond.  As I got close to the pond I saw a man in the distance walking toward me.  As he grew closer the rising sun bathed my face in light and pretty much blinded me as he passed.  Was it him or not?  His general build was the same but I did not see his face at all.  I was not about to turn and run after him......too "stalkish" for me.
Instead I just relaxed and told myself that if it was him and if I was meant to meet with him I would see him at the fountain.

I continue my walk enjoying the bright sun and crunch of leaves.

As I rounded a corner the fountain came into sight.  I continued walking and within a moment a man entered the fountain area from a side path.  It was my wise stranger.

This park is very large, we were walking in opposite directions and his walking speed is about twice the speed of mine.....and yet we met.

I smiled and said "Hello!"

He smiled back but I could see there was no recognition in his face at all.  None.

"We spoke two months or so ago, you told me so many things that I found helpful.  I'm glad I got a chance to see you again to thank you".

Recognition dawned on his face and his smile grew broader and he said, "So, that was you?"

I nodded back as he asked "Do you mind if I do jumping jacks?"

It was a cold morning and I was wearing a winter coat, a scarf and gloves.  He was wearing jeans and an oxford shirt.

While busy with his jumping jacks he smiled again and nodded toward the trees and their falling leaves.  "We should follow nature.  It's the time now to slow down, become quiet, rest.  Think of a bear.  A bear slows down and sleeps all winter.  It does not keep hunting and eating".

Although I could understand his point I reminded him that we were not bears and that most of us had jobs or responsibilities that had to be tended to throughout the winter.

"Yes" he agreed, "I know it isn't the same, but still, we need to take cues from nature".

He then spoke for a while about Western vs. Eastern approaches to relaxation.  He thought that those of us in the West do not have the same appreciation for nature as those from the East (talking globally).  He said that he finds music to be what relaxes people in the United States rather than an appreciation for nature.

Our conversation meandered like a soothing brook through topics of food (he is vegan and anti fast food), exercise (he believes in movement between 10 and noon and 3 and 5) and the sanctity of personal space.

"Do you ever throw your clothes on the floor?" he queried.

I wanted to look over my shoulder to make sure my mother wasn't standing there before I answered.  She has been gone for some time but I still sometimes get the feeling she is around keeping me on the straight and narrow.

"Well, I might let something drop to the floor for a moment or two". I said as I thought of my pajamas on the floor next to my bed.

"Don't do that!" He said with a sense of urgency.  "You must respect your clothes, they keep you warm.  Do you know how many people worked together just to get you your clothes?"

I have to admit I was a bit confused.  How could this be such an important topic; it was just clothes.

"For thousands of years people have worked to create clothing.  Someone had to first think of clothes.  Others had to create fabric.  Some created dyes.  Think of the people who dreamed up the machines in order to manufacture your clothes and then think of the people who built them.  What about the ones who operate the machines.  Someone packages your clothes and ships them.  Stores hold them for you.  You must respect your clothes because they represent thousands of years of thought, creation and cooperation".

He gestured to my coat and asked me where it was made.  I took it off, read the label and told him "China".

"You see?  You see?  At some point in time a woman in China was stitching your coat.  When she was done for the day she probably went home and tended to her family and her home chores.  Her hands, half a world away, the very hands that tend to her family, tend to your warmth."

For just a flicker of a moment I understood at a very deep level what he was offering.  The universality of his view and willingness to share it with me sent a calming sense of peace through me.

I smiled and nodded and then drove home to pick my pajamas up off the floor.








3 comments:

  1. Mary I had goose bumps when I read this. What an amazing encounter. Have you seen him again? He shared so much wisdom with you.I thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I had goose bumps when I read this. What an amazing encounter. Have you seen him again? He shared so much wisdom with you.I thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tami, I have not seen him since that encounter. He has very much been on my mind lately and hope to see him again soon. I believe I will! Thank you for reading!

      Delete