Friday, September 18, 2015

I have always been a solitary walker.  I like being with my own thoughts and being able to set my own pace.

Most of the walkers at the park walk in pairs.  I see them chatting as they saunter and it makes me smile to see that but I have never been envious of it.

Today as I rounded the walkway near the waterfall and duck pond another lone walker began to pass me.  She stopped and looked back at me and then smiled and said, "I haven't seen the blue heron yet."

A few days ago I had told her about "big blue" and told her to watch for him.

I stopped to talk to her for a few minutes.

"I haven't seen him in a few days." I replied.  "Maybe he has changed his eating schedule."

She grinned and rested her hand on her stomach.  "I've changed my eating schedule." She said with a laugh.

She went on to tell me that she has lost 25 pounds in two months.  

That got my attention.

"Now, don't get me wrong." She said with a "stop in the name of love" hand gesture.  "I still eat my candy."  She had a look in her eyes that made me want to promise I would never stand between her and her candy.

She continued with, "My husband loves a chubby woman so he brings me candy and Munchos all the time."  She got a far away look in her eyes as she said, "I do love my Munchos......"

She told me she began walking two months ago.  Every two weeks she increased the amount of time she walks.  She is now up to one hour a day and plans to begin jogging soon.

Her main concern is her health.  She has a 23 year old, an 18 year old and now a 6 year old.  
She is unable to keep up with her 6 year old.  

"With the 25 pounds I have lost I can now kick the soccer ball with my little boy and soon I will try to ride a bike with him."  Her eyes shone with happy tears.  "Why don't you start walking with me?" she asked.

I immediately thought of all the reasons I would not want to walk with her, or anyone.  But then I thought of our mutual love of the park, the fact that we both have children we love and weight to lose and health to gain and realized friendships have been forged on less.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I said with a smile.

She went her way and I went mine.  At the top of the stone stairs I took a right and continued on my way to the fountain.  I always sit on a particular bench to watch and listen to the water for a bit.

As I sat down I noticed a bouquet of sunflowers.  Five sunflowers bound with twine, with morning dew glistening on the golden petals.  

They were lovely.

I looked around wondering who left them.  There was not a soul in sight.  I picked them up and could see the stems were healed over so they had not been recently cut.

My mind drifted to the day before when I was cleaning my bedroom.  I had picked up my royal blue pitcher with the intricate white design as I dusted my bureau top.  When my older brother died his biggest customer had sent me this vase filled with sunflowers.  It was beautiful.  I set the pitcher down and told myself I should get some sunflowers soon.

And here they were.

I looked around again.  The park was empty.

In Chinese symbolism, sunflowers mean long life and good luck.  Their color signifies vitality,  intelligence and happiness.  

I whispered a "thank you" to the universe and claimed them as mine.









2 comments: